What is a skin peel?
If you want to roll back the years with fresher, younger skin, or if you are battling problem skin and scarring, then our skin peeling treatment could be the answer. Remove old, tired skin and let the new layers come to the top. With skin peeling treatment, Liverpool residents can enjoy looking - and feeling - many years younger. Skin also appears healthier and softer after treatment.
For facial peels carried out by licensed medical professionals in a safe, clean environment, make an appointment with the Ghosh Medical Group's cosmetic clinic. The service is part of our respected private practice based in the heart of Liverpool.
How does skin peel treatment work?
When you come to us for skin peel treatment, Liverpool doctors and nurses at our trusted clinic will carry out the procedure in a clean and safe environment. The treatment involves having a chemical face mask applied, which burns off the top layer of skin cells. The skin will feel tight, and it might lighten too, as the treatment takes effect. A cooling, soothing gel or lotion might be prescribed, along with over-the-counter painkillers like ibuprofen, to ease any pain and discomfort in the first few days.
The skin itself will become red and dry, and might even visibly crack and peel. The intensity of the treatment determines how severe the healing period's effects will be. From superficial peels to medium peels and deep peels, it is the choice of acid that determines the degree of the skin peel.
What can be treated?
The skin is made up of layers. Over time, the outer layers that are exposed to the world can undergo all sorts of damaging processes. Sunlight, extremes of hot and cold, chemicals in the air and other environmental factors can really take their toll on the skin. Plus, skin suffers damage when it gets too dry, it wrinkles as we age, and it can be easily scarred and discoloured through trauma, or due to issues such as acne.
Issues that affect the face can have a huge impact on confidence, and also on mental health. Many people who suffer from skin conditions will turn to make-up in an effort to conceal the problem, though this can often exacerbate the condition. A skin peel can remove those damaged layers completely, drastically improving skin quality and appearance in the process.
How long does skin peel treatment take?
A skin peel will vary in length depending on the extent of the treatment required. A typical procedure might last anything from 30 minutes for a partial skin peel while a full facial procedure could take up to 90 minutes.
How long should I expect for the treatment to have an effect?
After one or two weeks, new skin will have formed in the areas that were treated and the old skin will be gone. The effect can last for many months, though repeated treatments might be required to achieve the very best skin tone and quality.
For a light chemical peel, recovery time is usually up 4-7 days. For a medium peel, skin will recover in around 5-7 days, though some redness may be present for months. For deep peels, new skin will form after around a fortnight and redness could last for several months.
What precautions should I take after the treatment (aftercare)?
The precautions you need to take will depend on the level of skin peeling treatment in Liverpool you receive. Here are ideas for aftercare to ensure you get the best results from your treatment:
- Use ice packs, or a fan, to relieve discomfort
- Follow instructions given on how often to wash your face
- Avoid touching, picking or scratching or scrubbing your skin, let it shed naturally
- Use little to no moisturiser for the first couple days after treatment (there may a specific post-care moisturiser given to you)
- Avoid make up or other cosmetics until given the go-ahead
- Do not go back to your regular skincare routine until the skin no longer feels sensitive
- Try to stay out of the sun until your skin has healed, and then protect your new skin with a recommended SPF
What are the different types of chemical peels?
- Skin cells are taken from the top layer of skin (epidermis)
- The solution is put on the skin and left on for a few minutes
- Your skin might feel tight for a couple of hours after treatment
- Regular treatment is needed to maintain the effectiveness
- Skin cells are taken from the top and middle layers of skin
- Solution is put on and left on for a few minutes
- You might feel burning or stinging while the solution is on
- Your skin could look brown or red for a few days after
- It can take up to 6 weeks for your skin to completely go back to normal
- Treatment is needed every 6 to 12 months to make the effects last
- Treats the deeper layers of skin
- A local anaesthetic and sedative may be required to numb any pain
- The solution is put on the face and can be left on for 30 minutes or longer
- You will experience some peeling, redness, and discomfort for a few days
- Swelling can last up to 2 weeks, and redness can last for 3 months
- Often lightens the skin so it is not really suitable for darker skin
- It has long-lasting effects so does not normally need to be done again
What are the benefits of skin peeling treatment?
Skin peeling treatment can improve many skin issues such as:
Acne is a common skin condition and is usually treated with topical products or oral medication, but chemical peels can also be beneficial.
The procedure can:
- Break down clogged hair follicles (comedones)
- Decrease oil production
- Kill bacteria
- Reduce inflammation
- Increase absorption of topical treatments
Light and medium chemical peels are normally used to help with acne.
As acne heals, the skin creates new collagen fibres as it tries to fix lesions that have been formed by inflamed skin. The production of new collagen fibres can create hypertrophic scars, which are bumpy and raised, or atrophic scars, which form depressions in your skin. A skin peel can exfoliate the top skin layer, which removes excess collagen. Medium peels are normally advised for acne scars.
Rosacea is a skin condition that causes swelling and redness/red bumps. A chemical peel can help relieve these symptoms, it is normally recommended for mild or moderate rosacea.
Skin peels can reduce signs of ageing, including:
- Fine lines
- Age spots
- Uneven skin tone
- Liver spots
When skin starts to grow back after a skin peel, it starts the production of collagen and elastin. This can help make your skin strong and smooth, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and decreasing roughness and dryness.
As well as acne scars and age spots, skin peels can help with other forms of hyperpigmentation, for example:
- Surgical scars
- Scars that have resulted from injury
- Discoloration due to sun damage
Contact Ghosh Medical today to book in your consultation for skin peeling treatment in Liverpool.
- A convenient and effective way for you to access private health care services when you need it.
- We can tailor your treatment to your needs
- A range of finance and payment options available
- We offer a friendly, trustworthy and above-all-else familiar service.