Private medical consultants are becoming an increasingly popular choice for those looking for high-quality healthcare. While you do need to pay for their services, going private can ensure you are seen right away, receive the highest standards of care and get more facetime with your doctor.
But how much does it cost to see a private consultant? While prices vary from doctor to doctor, you can typically expect to spend around £100-£200 per consultation depending on what kind of medical issue you have.
In this article, we will explain what private medical consultants are, what they offer, and the benefits of going private. We'll also take a more in-depth look at the cost of private consultations and the range of treatments available.
What is a Private Consultant?
A private medical consultant is a doctor who offers appointments outside of the NHS. They offer a more personalised service than you would typically receive from the NHS, and many people find that they are able to get an appointment much sooner.
Private consultants typically have specialist knowledge in certain areas of medicine and can offer a more tailored treatment plan than you would receive from the NHS. They can also provide a second opinion on any treatment you are considering which can be invaluable if you are unsure about what to do.
While there are many benefits to seeing a private medical consultant, there are certain drawbacks that you may need to consider before making a decision. These include the cost of consultations and the fact that you may not be eligible for later NHS treatment if you have part of the initial treatment done privately. However, for many people, the benefits of going private outweigh these drawbacks.
The Benefits of Seeing a Private Medical Consultant
Many people choose to go private for medical consultations in the UK as they offer a number of benefits over NHS care. Some of these benefits include:
- Being seen straight away - Private consultants operate outside of the NHS and, as such, have no waiting lists.
- Receiving the best possible care - Private consultants are often specialists in their field and have years of experience. They also offer a more personalised service than you would receive from the NHS.
- Being able to choose your doctor - With private care, you can select your own doctor from a wide range of specialists and will receive more facetime with them than with an NHS doctor.
- Receiving all or part of your treatment abroad - Private consultants often have links with hospitals abroad and can help you to organise medical treatment in some of the world's best facilities.
- Choosing your own consultation and treatment timeframe - NHS appointments are usually very rigid, whereas private consultations offer more flexibility.
- Having a choice of hospitals - With private care, you can choose from a number of top quality hospitals in your local area.
- Receiving the highest levels of aftercare- Private consultants often offer post-treatment and post-operative care which is not always available on the NHS due to budget constraints.
What Happens During a Consultation?
The process of seeing a private medical consultant is very similar to that of an NHS appointment. You will typically be seen by the doctor for around 20 minutes and will have the opportunity to ask them any questions you may have. The doctor will then perform a physical examination and may order some tests or scans depending on your condition.
Once they have assessed your condition, the doctor will provide you with a treatment plan which may include medication, surgery, or other treatments. You can typically expect to receive a follow-up appointment within two weeks of your consultation.
Following your treatment, you may also need to see a consultant for aftercare. This is often included as part of your original treatment plan and can be vital for ensuring that you make a full recovery.
What are the Typical Costs of a Private Medical Consultation?
There is no universal answer to this question as private consultants set their own rates. These usually depend on the area of medicine you are consulting for, where you live and the level of experience and qualifications of your doctor. In general, however, you can expect to pay around £100-£200 per consultation.
Dr Arun Ghosh is an expert across a number of medical fields and to get an idea about consultation rates, here is a brief breakdown of some of his fees:
- 30 mins consultation - £140
- 45 mins consultation - £180
- 60 mins consultation - £220
- New Patient consultation - £250
- Follow up consultation - £175
- New Patient consultation - £150
- Follow up consultation - £100
- New Patient consultation - £225
- Follow up consultation - £195
As you can see, the prices are very affordable for the majority of people and will ensure that you are seen straight away and receive the best possible care. After your consultation, a treatment plan will be put in place so you can start your road to recovery immediately.
How to Choose a Private Medical Consultant
There are a few things you should consider when choosing a private medical consultant.
- First and foremost, you should consider the area of medicine they specialise in. This is important as it will ensure that you are consulting with an expert in the field you need help with.
- You should also take into account their experience and qualifications. A good private consultant will have years of experience and be qualified in a number of medical specialities.
- You should check their rates and whether they offer good value for money based on their experience and expertise. This is important as it will help you to determine whether the consultant is within your budget and whether their services are right for you.
- You should consider their location and whether they offer appointments near you. This is important as it will save you time which is usually an important factor in going private.
- Finally, you should read reviews from past patients. This will give you a good idea about the quality of care they offer and whether they are right for you.
What Types of Consultations are Available?
Again, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question with different consultants providing different types of treatment depending on their expertise. The best thing to do is to search online for a local private consultant who offers consultations in the field of medicine that relates to your condition.
Dr Arun Ghosh provides healthcare services in a wide range of medical fields including:
A general check-up is a vital part of keeping on top of your health. It can help to identify any potential problems early on and allow you to take steps to address them before they become more serious.
When you receive a general check-up from a private consultant, you can expect a full physical examination as well as tests and screenings for conditions such as cancer, heart disease and diabetes. They will also be able to offer you advice on how to improve your overall health and wellbeing.
Cardiovascular diseases are among the leading causes of premature deaths in the UK so if you are experiencing any problems with your heart or blood pressure, it is important to seek medical help straight away. A cardiology consultation with a private consultant can help to diagnose any problems and provide you with the necessary treatment.
There are various cardiovascular conditions that you will be assessed for during your consultation including:
- Coronary heart disease
- High blood pressure
These are all potentially life-threatening conditions, so it is important to get them treated as soon as possible. A private consultation will help to identify any issues as soon as possible so that you can start treatment and improve your chances of a full recovery.
Women's Health/Gynaecological Consultations
There are many conditions that can affect women's health and it is important to get specialist advice if you are experiencing any problems. A private consultant will be able to provide you with a diagnosis and, where necessary, treatment for your condition. Private medical consultants can offer a wide range of specialist services for women's health including consultations for:
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Breast cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Ovarian cancer
Men's Health Consultations
Just like women, men can also experience a range of health problems that require specialist treatment. A private consultant can offer a range of services specifically for men's health, including:
- Consultations for prostate cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Erectile dysfunction
- Depression and anxiety
One of the most common reasons people decide to go private is when they are experiencing problems with their skin. Skin problems can be both embarrassing and frustrating so it is important to get them treated as soon as possible. A private dermatologist consultation can help to diagnose the problem and provide you with the necessary treatment.
Some of the conditions that a private dermatology consultant can help with include:
- Hair loss
- Infections such as herpes and warts
Addiction Treatment Consultations
If you are struggling with addiction, it is important to get help as soon as possible. Effective addiction recovery usually requires a holistic treatment approach including an initial detox stage, a range of different therapies and coping strategies and a comprehensive aftercare programme. It can be very difficult to get this level of care on the NHS as most NHS addiction services are only outpatient due to budget and resource constraints.
There are many different types of addiction that a consultant can help with including:
- Drug abuse
- Gambling addiction
- Food addiction
- Internet addiction
- Nicotine addiction
A private consultant can provide you with specialist addiction treatment and support that will help you to overcome your addiction and live a healthy, happy life.
If you are struggling with your weight, a private consultant can provide you with specialist weight-loss treatment that will help you to lose the pounds and keep them off. A weight-loss consultation can help to identify the root cause of your weight problem and provide you with a customised weight-loss plan that will help you to achieve your goals.
Some of the services that a private consultant can provide include:
- Personal training
- Nutritional advice
- Counselling and support
- Gastric band referral
Dr Arun Ghosh is an expert in non-surgical weight-loss treatments which can help you to lose weight quickly and safely without the need for expensive, invasive surgery.
Scans and X-Rays
Most private medical consultants offer a range of scans and x-rays as part of their service. This can be very helpful if you are unsure about the cause of your symptoms and want to get a second opinion.
Some of the scans that you may be able to have include:
- Ultrasound scan
- CT scan
- MRI scan
- PET scan
- DXA scan (bone density scan)
- Blood tests
There are often long waiting lists for these types of scans so it can be very helpful to go private if you need them done quickly.
"How much does it cost to see a private consultant?" is one of the questions we get asked the most, and as you can see above, the reality is that you can receive an excellent private consultation for around £100-£200. If you are in need of medical advice or treatment, get in touch with Dr Arun Ghosh today to get started on your road to recovery.